04 April 2012

I write about my health, because…


From time to time my head gets stuffed with worries, thoughts and emotions, all clogging up, and sometimes keeping me awake at night, or making it hard to focus at work. Running through all the records in my head while cycling to work or home can be a good alternative, but now and then it’s good to put them in writing, as it clears my head and gives a way to leave the clutter behind.


I’ve always loved writing, and I’ve always loved thinking about things that you don’t very often talk about with friends. The two together seemed to be a good combination, and I started writing down my personal experiences, thoughts and worries.


After I got branded with diagnoses like Ankylosing Spondylitis, hip dysplasia, a scoliosis, and even one that later appeared to be a false one, fibromyalgia, thoughts and worries were running through my head continuously. I had to think about the consequences, the meaning of my life, and had to deal with bad news and worrying prospects. I did what I do best when I don’t know how to deal with myself. I started thinking and writing. I started to fill journals with thoughts, but also characteristic song lyrics, poems and quotes. Basically, anything which appeared to be helpful or corresponded to my life in that specific time of writing.


At one point, I decided to make my thoughts a little more public and share them with partners in crime, other patients dealing with chronic diseases. I started blogging and tweeting, alongside writing journals. 
Sharing my stories, and reading theirs, makes it easier to come to grip with my health issues. Moreover, it helps to see that I'm not the only one struggling, and struggling alone. Writing helps me. It restructures my thoughts, worries and feelings, and very often, it even helps putting my problems and health issues in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment